Fair Play Codes
- I will play hockey because I want to, not just because others or coaches want me to.
- I will play by the rules of hockey, and in the spirit of the game.
- I will control my temper – fighting and “mouthing off” can spoil the activity for everybody.
- I will respect my opponents.
- I will do my best to be a true team player.
- I will remember that winning isn’t everything – that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are also important.
- I will acknowledge all good plays/performances – those of my team and of my opponents.
- I will remember that coaches and officials are there to help me. I will accept their decisions and show them respect.
- I will be reasonable when scheduling games and practices, remembering that players have other interests and obligations.
- I will teach my players to play fairly and to respect the rules, officials and opponents.
- I will ensure that all players get equal instruction, support and playing time.
- I will not ridicule or yell at my players for making mistakes or for performing poorly. I will remember that players play to have fun and must be encouraged to have confidence in themselves.
- I will make sure that equipment and facilities are safe and match the players’ ages and abilities.
- I will remember that participants need a coach they can respect. I will be generous with praise and set a good example.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my coaching skills.
- I will work in cooperation with officials for the benefit of the game.
- I will not force my child to participate in hockey.
- I will remember that my child plays hockey for his or her enjoyment, not for mine.
- I will encourage my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is as important as winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game.
- I will make my child feel like a winner every time by offering praise for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child for making a mistake or losing a game.
- I will remember that children learn best by example. I will applaud good plays/performances by both my child’s team and their opponents.
- I will never question the officials’ judgment or honesty in public.
- I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children’s hockey games.
- I will respect and show appreciation for the volunteer coaches who give their time to coach hockey for my child.
- I will make sure that every player has a reasonable opportunity to perform to the best of his or her ability, within the limits of the rules.
- I will avoid or put an end to any situation that threatens the safety of the players.
- I will maintain a healthy atmosphere and environment for competition.
- I will not permit the intimidation of any player either by word or by action. I will not tolerate unacceptable conduct toward myself, other officials, players, or spectators.
- I will be consistent and objective in calling all infractions, regardless of my personal feelings toward a team or individual player.
- I will handle all conflicts firmly but with dignity.
- I accept my role as a teacher and role model for fair play, especially with young participants.
- I will be open to discussion and contact with the players before and after the game.
- I will remain open to constructive criticism and show respect and consideration for different points of view.
- I will obtain proper training and continue to upgrade my officiating skills.
- I will work in cooperation with coaches for the benefit of the game.
- I will remember that participants play hockey for their enjoyment. They are not playing to entertain me.
- I will not have unrealistic expectations. I will remember that players are not professionals and cannot be judged by professional standards.
- I will respect the officials’ decisions and I will encourage participants to do the same.
- I will never ridicule a player for making a mistake during a game. I will give positive comments that motivate and encourage continued effort.
- I will condemn the use of violence in any form and will express my disapproval in an appropriate manner to coaches and league officials.
- I will show respect for my team’s opponents, because without them there would be no game.
- I will not use bad language, nor will I harass players, coaches, officials or other spectators.
- I will do my best to see that all players are given the same chance to participate, regardless of gender, ability, ethnic background or race.
- I will absolutely discourage any sport program from becoming primarily an entertainment for the spectator.
- I will make sure that all equipment and facilities are safe and match the athletes’ ages and abilities.
- I will make sure that the age and maturing level of the participants are considered in program development, rule enforcement and scheduling.
- I will remember that play is done for its own sake and make sure that winning is kept in proper perspective.
- I will distribute the fair play codes to spectators, coaches, athletes, officials, parents and media.
- I will make sure that coaches and officials are capable of promoting fair play as well as the development of good technical skills and I will encourage them to become certified.
- There are currently no upcoming events. View more events »
Hockey Calgary Thanks Our Sponsor
Hockey Calgary Thanks Our Sponsor